Saturday, August 19, 2017

How do you stay the course? Our first in the spotlight feature with Richie Santa !

Hello friends and fans. Welcome to the first of our new spotlight feature on ETA's.... Tying in to our story on Graceland, we will be featuring an Elvis Tribute Artist ( ETA) once a month beginning with the fabulous Richie Santa....



Before we get into all the conversation I had with Richie, let me preface this with some thoughts...

I want this to be a feature of positivity and reflection... whether or not you are an Elvis fan or not, it's about what we do in our lives, on a daily basis, to stay the course....

Many of you know that I am all about sending positive vibes into the Universe....
I am a huge Elvis fan. My whole family adored him yet I didn't realize how much of a fan I was until recently. The more I learn , the more I want to know....and when I see the likes of younger people doing the same , I know the Elvis legacy will carry on through more generations. Since my readership has been growing by leaps and bounds I wanted to get into the ETA experience. I'd like to find ETA's from all over the Country to be spotlighted in this blog.... our other 3 weeks will continue on a variety of topics yet once a month we will turn ETA.... If you know someone that is worthy of a write up...please contact me and I will arrange to check them out. I really want to capture the true honest spirit of those who loved Elvis and who emulate his kindness and love of music and performance as that is my background as well.....

I am honored to have the very first ETA be the fabulous Richie Santa....




I had the pleasure of sitting down with Richie and his manager Kathy Nichols Cossu to discuss the whole ETA experience and atmosphere....





Richie was most gracious and seemed so excited to speak with us. ( Myself and my videographer, Marco "The Mr." Panting) We discussed the nerves first.. I asked Richie what it felt like to be backstage and hit that stage running
as " Elvis "

He said that we wouldn't be normal if there weren't a certain amount of nerves that set in before each performance. Richie has been doing this for 10 years plus. I believe that he has gotten to a level of confidence in his role on stage yet still feels that twinge of butterflies to bring it back to reality a little.... Richie also says that he feels blessed to be able to sustain a career in this business and lifestyle. As other true ETA's have said to me, "I am not Elvis" "I am paying tribute to someone that I love". The conversation turned to a love of Elvis and what his role in the industry has meant to many a performer and fan. There has to be a sincerity about what the ETA's do to attract me to them and Richie certainly fits that bill. He's been a fan of Elvis since he's 8 years old. He's been singing a long time yet doing Elvis has been the most rewarding. " What can be better then portraying your favorite artist and having an audience appreciate it. Its a bond we have with the fans ", says Richie Santa.....


Singing came naturally to Richie at an early age. Finding this love for Elvis has been so rewarding to him not only as a performer yet as a fan too ! " I've sung all kinds of music ,but Elvis fills me with such joy."


When I asked Richie about his goals down the road he told me that touring and doing bigger venues would be great. He also mentioned something that I just love....and that is getting together with other Tribute Artists... and learning and working with them. As Elvis week comes to a close today in Graceland, I've been reading stories about the camaraderie that the other ETA's form with each other and that in and of itself is a special bond. Richie also says that he is so blessed to be where he is today in his career.... I also admire that.

About 2 1/2 years ago, Richie met Kathy Cossu who his now his manager...


"Kathy and I met at the Richmond county fair on Staten Island about 2 1'2 years ago. We started working together a few months after that meeting . Its been a very good working relationship"

I had the pleasure of chatting with Kathy as well, no stranger to the industry, and found that conversation with her was easy and comforting. I'm so looking forward to my own special bond with Kathy and Richie, as well as the others I will come to meet and interview....


I, myself, found the afternoon to be so warm and friendly. I felt like I knew Richie a long time. In fact, we came to realize that we met once before yet that was just in passing at an event and it came full circle for me to start this spotlight feature and have Richie be the very first guest here.... This lunch and interview process, which was more of a general conversation than anything, was so heartwarming and made me feel so good about adding this feature.

So now we talk about staying the course and how you keep going....

I asked Richie about his rehearsal time etc...
He said that the best way to learn is to watch the movies and videos of Elvis .He tries to do that on a daily basis. Yet practicing in front of a mirror and looking back on his own performances is also a way he can analyze and critique himself...and ultimately become better and better at his craft.

I thoroughly enjoyed taking this step in my blog process. I am so honored to have Richie Santa , not only as my very first spotlight here, yet as a new friend and I'm so looking forward to seeing him at the Strand Theater on 8/25 !


In the meantime, Richie also said that another ETA once told him that it takes 5-6 years to grow up as an ETA in the industry.... Richie believes that to be true.

I find Richie to be a true artist, ETA and a very special person....


Let's begin this new spotlight series this August, on the last day of Elvis week... with the fabulous RICHIE SANTA !


#ETA

#Elvis
#4ASTAR

No comments: